Where was it made?


So many famous names of English china was made in Stoke on Trent in the heart of England lovingly known as The Potteries.
Names such as Aynsley, Wedgwood, Royal Albert, Burleigh, Moorcroft, Spode, Portmeirion, Royal Doulton and Royal Stafford. 

Aynsley china was established in  Longton Stoke on Trent in 1775 by John Aynsley. His grandson built the famous Portland works in Sutherland road in 1861.
In 1997 Belleek bought Aynsley and closed the factory in 2014 and then sadly the factory shop closed in 2017. The end of an era.

Burleigh pottery was established in Burslem Stoke on Trent in 1851 as Hulme and Booth. In 1862 it was taken over by William Leigh and Frederick Rathbone and from that date traded as Burgess and Leigh. In the 1930's the two names were combined and they then traded as Burleigh.
In 1868 they moved to the Hill Pottery in Burslem and then in 1889 they moved to their present factory in Middleport Stoke on Trent.

Colclough china was founded in 1890 by the ex Mayor of Stoke on Trent, Herbert Joseph Colclough. He moved to the Vale potteries in Longton and was visited by King George and Queen Mary who gave him Royal Licence to make Royal Vale china. They were the first company to make china which could be purchase one piece at a time.
In 1948 Colclough took over Booths and Adderley  before merging with Ridgway china in the 1950's.
Colclough and Ridgway became part of the Royal Doulton group in the early 1970's before finally closing altogether in 1996.

Mr Robinson founded Foley china in 1850. In 1864 he joined with a Mr Hudson and operated as Robinson and Hudson until 1872. The pottery was demolished in 2010.

Minton china was established by Thomas Minton in 1765 to 1836 in Stoke on Trent.
At this stage he made earthenware pottery but joined with Joseph Poulson who made bone china. When Joseph Poulson died in 1808 Thomas Minton carried on alone using Poulsons pottery until 1824 when he then built a new pottery.

In 1903 Paragon china was introduced by the Star china company in Longton Stoke on Trent. In 1920 they changed their name to The Paragon China company. In 1960 it was taken over by Thomas C Wild and Sons Ltd who made Royal Albert china. In 1964 they merged with the Lawley group and the name was changed once again to Allied English Potteries Ltd. They became part of the Royal Doulton group in 1972. By 1992 the Paragon name was discontinued and the name and patterns were absorbed into the Royal Albert group.

Father and son Thomas Wild and Thomas Clarke Wild bought the Albert works in Longton  Stoke on Trent in 1885 and made bone china under the name of Thomas Wild and Co. In 1898 Thomas Wild senior died and his son carried on trading as Thoms C Wild from 1905 to 1917. They became Royal Albert in 1936. Paragon china was acquired in 1960. 

In 1750 Andrew Planche established the first pottery in Derby making beautiful figures. He joined with William Duesbury to form a partnership manufacturing china of the highest quality. 1761 they make a piece for King George III In 1175 King George allows them to be called Royal Crown Derby. 

Royal Staffordshire china was established in 1845 in Burslem Stoke on Trent. There used to be a company called Royal Stafford china but this went out of business in 1992.

Wedgwood was founded in 1759 by Josiah Wedgwood. His factory was in Burslem Stoke on Trent. 
In 1986 Waterford Glass Company purchased Wedgwood.